Welcome to April 2021’s Disappearing Moment, an inventory of opinions and experiences. I hope you enjoy it.
- In Front of Our Eyes (Worth My Time): Weekly updates on one of the most important court cases of our time. Unfortunately, the journalism is pedestrian and provides limited insight or context.
- The Lonely Palette (I Loved It): Tamar Avishai is to art as Karina Longworth is to film. They’re the best writers in podcasting, simultaneously complicating and demystifying their subjects.
- Norco 80 (I Loved It): Imagine telling a heist story like Reservoir Dogs or Baby Driver with compassion, sensitivity, and rigor. I look forward to Antonia Cereijido’s future projects.
- Stronger by Science (I Loved It): Eric and Greg are experts in muscle and strength, and its relationship to biology and statistics. They’re also humble, egalitarian, likable, and very, very funny.
I rely on “second brain” software to supplement my overburdened first. Obsidian works across platforms, has a wonderful community, and is developing a mobile app.
I wanted a pick-me-up. My pen collector friend Nancy recommended a Pilot Metropolitan Fountain. She nailed it: I love how it writes, looks, and feels.
Over 50 custodians offer self-directed IRAs (real estate, metals, cryptocurrency, etc.). I researched them all. The three I trust are NuView, Advanta, and IRA Resources.
- Bill DeSimone, Joint-Friendly Fitness (2021) (I Loved It): After training with Bill for months, I appreciate how well this book summarizes his constant emphasis on safety. Avoiding injury is paramount to building muscle.
- Seth Roberts, “Self-Experimentation as a Source of New Ideas” (I Loved It): A fearless, original thinker and a wonderful writer. I wish we had more time with him.
- Roula Allouch is Chair of the National Board of Directors of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Anonymous The Author is a musician and podcaster
- Khisha Asubuhi owns Originalitees
- Chris Bachelder wrote The Throwback Special
- Naimah Bilal is the creator and host of Bawse With a Cause
- Bob Bonder and Bryant Goulding co-founded Rhinegest Brewery, which started an Employee Stock Ownership Plan in 2020
- Tracy Brumfield is founder and Executive Director of RISE: Re-Entering Into Society Empowered
- Jean-Robert Cadet is the author of Restavec and My Stone of Hope
- Bart Campolo is the host of Humanize Me
- Elese Daniel is a poet and the Head of Youth Engagement and Community Relations at Red Bike
- Sherae Daniel studies open source software and virtual teams
- Lauren Eylise is a musician
- Fiona is a hippopotamus
- Megan Fitzpatrick is a woodworker and editor
- Mary Ellen Goeke is the Executive Director of FotoFocus, which ignites dialogue between contemporary lens-based art and the history of photography
- Richard Graeter is the President and CEO of Graeter’s, which makes my favorite vegan ice cream, Perfect Indulgence
- GrandAce is a musician
- Greg Greenlee is the Founder and Chairman of the Blacks in Technology Foundation
- Tina Gutierrez is a photographer
- Garry “Gee” Horton is a self-trained hyperrealist visual artist
- Amber Hunt is a journalist and podcaster (Accused, Aftermath, Crimes of the Century)
- Cole Imperi is a thanatologist
- Manuel Iris is the Cincinnati Poet Laureate
- Yemisi Jones is a Medical Director at Cincinnati Children’s and lead author of Collateral Damage: How COVID-19 Is Adversely Impacting Women Physicians
- Brianna Kelly, Jon Delvaux, Andrew Aragon, and Corey Waddell are a band called Soften
- Judi Ketteler is the author of Would I Lie to You?
- Uma Kotagal is an executive leader at Cincinnati Children’s and a Senior Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Radha Lakshmi is an interdisciplinary ritual community artist
- Lantana is a musician
- Kick Lee is a music producer and founder of the Cincinnati Music Accelerator
- Naomi Lewin is the host of the Classics for Kids radio program and podcast
- Thane Maynard is an author and the director of the most innovative and humane zoo in America
- Milen Mahadevan is President of 84.51°, which helps clients develop and nurture customer-drive relationships
- Dani McClain is a reporter and author
- LaTrice Montgomery researches ways to improve interventions for African American substance users
- Kevin Necessary is an illustrator and cartoonist
- Meeka Owens is a community organizer and politician
- Shailaja Paik is a historian who studies caste, gender, and Dalit women in India
- Nancy Paraskevopoulos is a musician
- Ioanna Paraskevopoulos is co-founder and Executive Director of Action Tank and created City Council School
- Jerri Queen is a musician (Vacation, Tweens), engineer, and producer
- Sheryl Rajbhandari started Heartfelt Tidbits to provide education and employment support for new immigrants
- Nancy Rexroth is a photographer
- Glenn Riley is an artist and designer, and the originator of Tykes
- Ronny Salerno is a photographer and writer
- Christopher Schwarz is a woodworker, author, and publisher
- David Singleton is the Executive Director of the Ohio Justice & Policy Center
- Leah Stewart is a novelist
- Amy Stross practices and writes about permaculture
- Miriam Terlinchamp is a rabbi and social justice champion
- Kitty Uetz, Director of the Xavier University Art Galleries, is a fiber artist, painter, and sculptor
- Amy Vaughan is the CEO of Together Digital, which educates and empowers women within digital
- Joey Votto seems like one of the more admirable people currently employed as a professional athlete
- Kate Wakefield (cello, vocals) and Daisy Caplan (drums) are a two-person band called Lung
- Carl Westmoreland is a community organizer and a historian at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
- Kayla Renée Wheeler curates the Black Islam Syllabus
- C. Jacqueline Wood is a video and installation artist, and the founder and director of The Mini Microcinema
- Xzela is a musician
- Elissa Yancey is CEO of A Picture’s Worth, a nonprofit that tells stories, including the Running for Our Future and Ohio Values podcasts
- Felicia Zamora is a poet, educator, and editor
- Peng Zhang studies ways to treat infection with nanoparticles and light, hoping to reduce antibiotic use and drug resistance
Thanks for spending a few moments with me. I look forward to corresponding again next month.